Thursday, March 1, 2012

CSR Elite Cockpits


Strong Wheels Need Strong Cockpits!


Got an interesting question the other day from a 
guy wondering if the new CSR Elite is too much wheel to be mounted on a single post cockpit.

That’s a great question – and one I’ve wondered myself. I absolutely can’t stand movement in my wheel (or pedals for that matter!). You don’t drive your M3 around saying, “It’s only a little wiggle” so you shouldn’t want it in your sim cockpit either! I can see Vettel climbing from his car, thanking the sponsors, commenting on the quick degradation of the tires in the wet, and the fact that the wheel doesn’t wiggle all that much and the pedals only slide a bit under the hardest braking ;-)

Okay, I’ll move on…

You see we have found some minor wiggle in almost every cockpit we’ve tested using the standard CSR wheel. And obviously, the Elite is a lot heavier than the CSR and Porsche wheels - as well as a lot more powerful.

Perhaps it’s mere coincidence that I’ve had our Elite mounted on our recently modified SR-X cockpit, absolutely the most sturdy rig we’ve tested to date. The SR-X has shown no structural ‘wiggle’ with the Elite wheel mounted.

But maybe we’ll run through some of the cockpits we’ve tested just to see what happens. It should prove interesting at the least. Of course, to date we’ve only tested one single post rig, the rSeat, and it’s been called one of the most stable of the single post cockpits. So I suppose if it wiggles, it pretty much would be conclusive that all others would wiggle more!

So I come back to the fact that it seems to me that if you are so ‘in to’ sim racing that you think you need an Elite wheel, you should be just as concerned that the rest of your simulation setup is as good quality.

I guess that means that if you buy a new CSR Elite wheel then I fully expect you to hard mount a set of Elite pedals to your dual post cockpit. Living in the United States, I’m aware how the government wants to approve your every move, so I will accept the position of proper sim racer setup inspector – officially named Proper Built Systems, or Pro BS for short.

;-)

D


1 comment:

  1. Can you try one of the more powerfull wheels ( CSR Elite/ CSW / Thrustmaster with the New GT omega Evo please.

    ReplyDelete